Sign up today for any of Anne's free ministry resources to grow you in your daily walk with the Lord. You may receive Anne's newsletter or receive her daily e-mail devotional.Sign Up for Anne's Free Resources!
Be Ready to Meet Jesus
It is a blessing to know that because you have opened this link, you are seeking further information about establishing a personal relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ -- a relationship that God will acknowledge as being authentic -- a relationship that will give you eternal security and confidence at the very moment you see Him face to face. It is my privilege to share with you the following details in order to make sure you are ready to meet Jesus...
Genesis 1:27 says that God created you in His image, meaning you were created with a capacity to know your Creator in a personal relationship. Colossians 1:16 says you were created by Jesus Christ and for Him. Therefore, knowing Him in a personal way is the key to human fulfillment and satisfaction. Without a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ, you will never become that for which you were created. That's why God has just given us Jesus, that He in turn might open the way into a personal, permanent relationship with the Father.
Any personal relationship requires the investment of time. For instance, what kind of relationship would I have with my husband, if I only spent one hour with him each week? And what if during that one hour, several hundred other people were also present? We would end up being just acquaintances. How can we expect to have a close personal relationship with God when we only give Him one hour on Sunday morning in church? Even though you may be in a good church, there is no substitute for time spent alone with God in prayer and Bible study if you want to develop a personal, first-hand relationship with Him.
A personal relationship with Jesus begins with hearing the Word of God and acknowledging that what you heard is the truth, then making an intellectual decision to establish a personal relationship with Jesus Christ now.
The intellectual decision is then followed by an act of your will, based on faith in God's Word, whereby in prayer you:
1. Confess to God you are a sinner. "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) Name specific sins that come to mind as well as the general sin of not having a right relationship with Him before now.
2. Repent of your sin, which simply means that you are willing to stop sinning with His help.
3. Ask God to cleanse and forgive you of your sin through the blood of Jesus Christ shed at the cross. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (I John 1:9)
4. Invite Jesus to come into your life as your Savior, taking control of your life as Lord. "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and live with him, and he with Me." (Revelation 3:20)
5. Thank Him by faith for having now done what you have asked Him to do in #3 and #4. "As many as received Jesus, to them He gave power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name." (John 1:12) "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)
6. Once having made this transaction with God, you have established a personal relationship with Him through faith in Jesus Christ whether you feel you have or not. Do not go on feelings or emotions. Take God's Word for it. You have been spiritually "born again" into God's family. (John 3:3) You are now a child of God, ready to meet your Father face to face, and one day be welcomed to live with Him forever in His heavenly Home.
This decision is just the beginning of the adventure of getting to know God in a personal, permanent, love relationship! That relationship is developed by a few simple daily disciplines:
1. Pray. Prayer is just talking to God. Be sure to make time each day to talk to Him about your daily activities, quickly confessing to Him when you do something wrong, asking for His help and thanking Him when He gives it. Remember, God loves you! He is now your Father and you are His child. He longs to hear from you through prayer.
2. Read your Bible. In prayer you are speaking to God, but through the Bible, God will speak to you. Therefore, make time every day to read it, even if you only read a few verses at a time. Ask God to help you understand what you read. (See below for some suggested helpful and free resources).
3. Make Christian friends. As you seek to live a life pleasing to God, you will be living a life that will be very different from most people around you. It is very important that you have Christian friends with whom you can pray and read the Bible. If you are not already in a church, ask around to find a good church that loves Jesus and teaches the Bible.
4. Tell others about Jesus. Ask God to give you opportunities to talk about Jesus with your friends and neighbors, your co-workers and family, letting them know Who He is and what He means to you.
I know very soon that the devil will try to take away your joy and peace. He will try to cause you to doubt the truth of what you have heard, and the decision you have made in desiring a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He will try to cause you to sin and fail, convincing you that you can never live the Christian life, so why try. But the Bible says in I John 4:4, "Greater is He (Jesus) that is in you, than he (the devil) that is in the world." In Romans 8:37 it says, "We are more than conquerors through Him that loved us."
When you invited Jesus to come into your life, He came in the Person of the Holy Spirit, according to Ephesians 1:13 and Luke 11:13. All that Jesus is, without His physical body, now lives in you, never to leave you or forsake you.
I pray God will bless you with deep assurance, based on your faith in His Word,
that your sins are forgiven,
that you have received eternal life,
that the Holy Spirit of God lives within you,
that Heaven is your Home,
that you are forever the Father's child,
that whenever the moment comes you are ready to meet Him face to face!
Welcome to His Family!
Anne Graham Lotz
(Please check out this website for Bible study resources. I suggest you begin with Journey to Jesus, which is a free Bible study on the Gospel of John, including a video explanation of how to read your Bible in a meaningful way. You might also want to sign up for our free e-devotion that will come to you each day with a Bible verse and brief explanation of what it means in your life).
Download the pdf version of this letter here.
Click the 'play' button below to watch Easter: A Love Story